Happy 7th birthday, Piperlime!
When Gap Inc. launched the brand this month back in 2006 as an online-only footwear boutique, a shoe-biz star was born.
With its lime green logo, Piperlime sold shoes – and only shoes – starting with 100 well-known and up-and-coming brands primarily for women, and going toe-to-toe with online shoe-sellers.
That was then.
Today Piperlime offers a curated assortment of contemporary clothing, shoes and accessories – from splurges to steals – plus, celebrity guest editors and a store in New York City.
In honor of Piperlime’s seven years, we highlight seven Piperlime milestones.
1. Hello to handbags. After mastering shoes, Piperlime stepped it up in 2008 with an assortment of handbags, clutches and totes.
2. Adding apparel. In 2009, Piperlime expanded to women’s apparel, starting with 65 brands, including Marc by Marc Jacobs, See by Chloe and Trina Turk.
3. The runway years. Piperlime was featured in 2010 and 2011 on the “Accessories Wall” for TV’s "Project Runway,” a collaboration that led to a World AIDS Day project. A Sugar Skull Tee designed by “Runway All Stars” winner Mondo Guerra and benefitting amfAR, was a Piperlime exclusive that sold out in hours.
4. Bringing back a favorite. Gap discontinued carrying Levi’s jeans in 1991, opting to focus on its private labels. But after a 20-year hiatus, Levi’s returned to the Gap fold in 2011 when Piperlime added the denim brand to its line-up.
5. Launching its own label. Piperlime launched its first private label, Hive & Honey, in Fall 2010, becoming the only of Gap Inc.’s brands to consistently carry both in-house labels and outside brands. Tinley Road, Sabine and Pim & Larkin round out the brand’s exclusive offerings.
6. The celebrity guest list. Stylist Rachel Zoe reigns as “Guest Editor,” offering her picks and tips. Over the years, Piperlime has enriched its Guest Editor roster adding Olivia Palermo, Rachel Bilson, Byrdie Bell, Aimee Song and, most recently, Jessica Alba.
7. From clicks to bricks. Following the smashing success of the Piperlime pop-up store in 2010, Piperlime opened up its first brick-and-mortar store in the SoHo district of New York City, where hundreds lined up at the Sept. 2012 opening.
Congratulations, Piperlime, and many happy returns – in years, not merchandise.