I know – it probably feels a bit weird to be talking about heavy jackets and other Fall styles at the same time you’re buying beach towels and shorts in our stores.
But in our line of work, we’re always looking at seasons ahead. Which is why I chatted up Anita Borzyszkowska, who oversees what we call "fashion communications," globally, for Gap brand, for some style tips for you. Anita was, after all, voted among the world's best dressed women by The Times of London. So there's that. (I was in London last week -- the subway escalator alone felt like a fashion runway with an endless loop.) Anyhow, Anita also works closely with the design teams and on special projects, like our collaborations with Pierre Hardy and Stella McCartney, Diane Von Furstenberg and Colette, amongst others.
Which (finally) brings me back to Fall. Leather is going to be big. Here are a few thoughts, from Anita, about how to wear it …
- It’s now acceptable to wear leather for almost all occasions; it’s truly become a wardrobe foundation piece and ubiquitous – a bit like denim
- Leather paired with denim always looks great – but look beyond its rock n’ roll roots and try a leather jacket with smart pants or a pencil skirt for a chic new look
- Leather pants, for women, should be well-fit, and never be too snug
- Never wear more than one piece of leather at a time!
- Quality leather, which can pinch your wallet, is a good investment – it will look even better over time