What’s more nervous-making than a job interview? Not much … but Gap Inc. recruiting teams were happy to share a few tips on what you can do to make it easier on yourself!
1) What’s the best way to prepare for an interview?
2) We wear jeans to work at Gap Inc. – but that seems odd for an interview. What should candidates wear?
It depends on the position and brand – business casual is the norm, but don’t be afraid to display your personal style!
3) What’s the worst thing you’ve ever heard during an interview?
Trashing your current or former supervisor; it shows a lack of integrity or accountability. Asking about the salary right away – have that discussion with a recruiter, not the hiring manager. Underselling your experience – if it impacted the bottom line or saved the company time, then it is a big deal in this day and age!
4) What are some good questions you’ve been asked by candidates?
Questions about the career potential are useful – we have so many stories of career growth, and can offer great training, resources and opportunities for employees to drive their own development. We also love to share our own stories of our careers and the culture of the company, and to tell why we love working here.
5) What are the top characteristics you look for when deciding whether or not someone is a good fit for Gap Inc.?
Relevant experience to the position and translatable skills, a passion for the particular brand, preparedness for the interview, an excitement about retail, excellent communication skills, adaptability to change, intellectual curiosity, a great attitude, good energy and a willingness to make a difference.
6) If you could give interviewees one tip, what would it be?
Practice answering questions before you interview. You’ll be more confident and shine better!